Vendor Spotlight: Crude Crafts

Lizz Switzer of Crude Crafts is a long-time friend of ours here at Second Storie. Working not only in the crafts arena, she is also an amazingly talented artist. Visit her site to see some of her past installation work. It is truly inspiring. Come visit her at our show (in just 3 days!) to snag one of her sweet screen-printed pillows or tea-stained note cards!

What was the inspiration for your business name?
My aesthetics tend towards the under-wrought, simple and natural which is what the term crude means, it was an obvious choice for me.



Do you listen to while you work?

Most of my artwork, both "capital a" and "little a" is created in front of or near a TV. I have a list of movies and tv shows that I love and listen to while working. Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The West Wing being at the top of the list. For me its always felt more soothing. I love stories. On the occasion that I am listening to music, it tends to be The Rolling Stones, or Radiohead. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Antje Duvekot.



Where are you and your studio located?
I live in Buffalo, and I work out of my home. I wish I had a bigger space- but I love that my cats can wander through as I'm working.


How did you get started in your current medium?
I've been making things with my hands since I was a little kid. My mother's favorite story about me is how when I was about 2 or so she brought home a book from the library called "How to Raise a Creative Child" -- I colored in it. She decided she'd done her job and took it back!

A close friend of mine said if I didn't make art I'd probably chew my own hands off. It's true, I love to keep busy. But the act of making is so ingrained into my sense of myself that I don't know what I would do with myself. I'm an artist, its how I enter the world.

I work in a variety of media. In college, I majored in Photography and Drawing- as a Grad student I worked in Painting, Screenprinting, and Mulit-media Installation. Fiber has always been a big part of my work as well- I remember learning to embroider when I was 10- on a mushroom sampler! I learned to knit about 5 years ago from friends and personal experimentation.



What are your current influences?
My fellow artists and crafters are at the top of the list. I obsessively read blogs looking for more and more ideas and inspiration. Joetta Maue's blog Little Yellow Birds as at the top of the list for sure. Beyond that Louise Bourgeouis, Petah Coyne, Kiki Smith and Doris Salcedo are big influences on my work. A lot of my ideas come from books and songs though. I've always loved words and have a background in creative writing. PJ Harvey, Radiohead and Liz Phair are great sources for that.

What is your favorite part about your art/craft?
Absolutely the community. I've met some of the most amazing people through indie markets and gallery exhibitions.



Have any special events coming up before Second Storie that you'd like everyone to know about?

Just after actually, I'm part of a group show at Studio Hart on Allen St in Buffalo opening December 3rd called "Winter Wonder" curated by Cynnie Gaasch -- I'll be debuting some new embroidered pieces.

No comments: