2010 Vendor Spotlight: Pidge Pidge

We had the pleasure of welcoming Vanessa Laurie of pidge pidge to Second Storie for the first time last year and we couldn't be happier to see her and her amazing scarves again this year!

Where do you and your studio call home?

I run pidge pidge out of a cozy third floor apartment right in Rochester with my grumpy cat, Pigeon. My old floor loom and I are sandwiched between my sewing machine and a giant stack of fibers in a tiny red room.



How did you get your start in weaving and textiles?
My mom taught me to quilt/sew at an early age. I majored in illustration in college- shaping my assignments into fibers/textiles of all sorts of media- embroidery, applique, fabric collage, knitting. I took several fibers courses and quickly fell in love with weaving.



What are your current influences?
I am inspired in my daily life- I keep a notebook on me with lists of color combinations I've seen in nature, literature, film and the fashion sense of shoppers at craft shows.



What is your favorite part about working with textiles?
I love experimenting with color- every scarf I weave starts with different inspiration. I love that I can go in a completely different design direction.


September 30 was the grand opening of Global Village on the RIT campus- lots of shops and services for students. Also opening was a brand new gallery called Shop One2 which includes a bunch of pidge pidge scarves among fine art by local artists, RIT alumni and faculty. Check it out!

No comments: