a visit with: Lisa Wright




Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

This morning, we're visiting with talented knitter, and first time Second Storie vendor, Lisa Wright...




a visit with:





- Lisa Wright - 


What first inspired you to create/make what you do now?
My college roommate Marisa taught me how to knit one night when we were avoiding homework, and as an artist who really enjoys the process aspect of creating, I was instantly hooked. A desire to take my knowledge of fibers to the next step led me to spinning, and to the community of my local guild. I really enjoy participating in a craft that has been passed down from person to person over the centuries and the sense of feeling connected to the community of fiber artists past and present through continued practice of the craft.


Your advice for someone just starting out
and wanting to sell their work?
Find a way to work creatively every day, even if you aren't feeling it. And by all means, if you have the opportunity to learn or try something new, jump on it.




- her workspace -


Three things or people who inspire you?
The spinning and dye work of Alanna Wilcox is one inspiration 
for my work. 

I'm also a big fan of losing hours online looking at all the beautiful things that Ravelry users have created. 

My father has also been a strong influence on my creative life; he has done so many different things, from fly tying to wood working to building little weather stations, always taking me along on his journeys to meet craftsman or search through antique stores for the right tool to carve out a chair seat. He instilled in me the value of taking care of your tools and doing the work you do well.









- her work -


Favorite way to take a break/recharge your creative batteries?
I work primarily as a photographer, so knitting and spinning are actually a great way from me to recharge and think in a different medium and let my mind wander and work things out.



Get to know more about Lisa here:
Lisa doesn't have a site up yet for her knitting endeavors, 
but you can explore her photography.
62MOCKINGBIRDS



///

No comments: