a visit with: Tanvi Asher-Jones of Peppermint


Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

We're delighted to kick off this week's visits by spending some time with talented designer, and first time Second Storie vendor, Tanvi Asher-Jones...




a visit with:





- Tanvi Asher-Jones - 


What first inspired you to create/make what you do now?
It all began with my MFA thesis. My thesis was called Transformations: Explorations in body shelter. I was manipulating different clothing patterns so that they would function in many different ways. After I graduated, I never stopped creating clothing using those crazy patterns I had created during the MFA. It was a source of stress relief. I also learned the power of on-demand printing on fabric which was a huge "WHOA" moment for me.I began creating a piece every week and before I knew it - I had a collection. Once I lost my "day" job, I knew it was a sign that I had to take my passion further. The rest, as they say, is history.


Your advice for someone just starting out
and wanting to sell their work?
Being creative is NOT easy. There will be a lot of set backs and a lot of naysayers but don't let complexities stop you. Talk to people you look up to, ask for help if you need it - you'll be surprised how many people are gracious. And most of all, put 101% into it.




- her workspace -


Three things or people who inspire you?
My parents are my biggest source on inspiration, 
followed by the design duo, Rodarte.










- her work -


Favorite way to take a break/recharge your creative batteries?
Travel. Nothing like visiting a new place and being inspired by new cultures & landscapes.


Any news or upcoming events you'd like to share?
Our new Fall line will be launched at Rochester Fashion Week, September 27th - 30th. The runway show will be at the Public Market and is free to the public.


Get to know more about Tanvi here:
121 PARK AVENUE, ROCHESTER



///



No comments: