a special visit with: Abbey Hendrickson of Aesthetic Outburst





Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

Today's visit is a bit of a special visit. We're beyond thrilled to announce that Abbey Hendrickson of Aesthetic Outburst will be joining us at Second Storie Market this year, celebrating the launch of her new book! Abbey will be selling signed copies of her book,  You Are Awesome: 21 Crafts to Make You Happy, and sharing some of her favorite projects. We're big fans of Abbey's book and can't wait to see her awesome projects in person! We hope you'll enjoy this preview and visit with all-around-amazing, returning Second Storie vendor, Abbey Hendrickson...




a visit with:





- Abbey Hendrickson - 



How did the idea for your book come about?
The book started as a personal challenge on my blog, Aesthetic Outburst. I found myself at home with two babies, struggling to keep us occupied on a daily basis. On a whim, I decided to make one craft project each weekday and give all of the work away to blog readers. I ended up sending out 80 handmade crafts to readers all over the world. You Are Awesome: 21 Crafts to Make You Happy is a collection of my favorite projects from that series, along with a bunch of DIY projects created just for the book.



What were you most surprised by in the course of 
writing your book?
Aside from being shocked that someone even wanted to make a book with me in the first place, the biggest surprise was how quick the project came together! Ziggy Hanaor from Cicada Books was fabulous to work with and helped keep the ball rolling. The book took about five months from start to finish.




- one of Abbey's favorite images from her book -
photo by Garry Maclennan



Do you have a favorite project in your book? 
If so, which one? And why?
My favorite projects are the ones that I made for the people I love. Seeing my sweet girl send an email on her cardboard computer or watching my best boy spell out words for the first time with his magnet set - those moments make me incandescently happy.





- make your own pennant -
a project from Abbey's book



What projects do you have on the go now, or plans for 
in the near future?
Honestly, I'm making a conscious effort to enjoy this moment and not spend too much time thinking about what's next. Sometimes I find myself focusing so much on next that I forget to be mindful of now. That said, I do have plenty of hopes and goals. My husband and I bought a once-abandoned 1800's farmhouse last year and have been renovating it - that's the project I'm most excited about right now. I'd also love to do another book someday.





- make your own ribbon chalkboard -
a project from Abbey's book



If you could pick one artist to collaborate with 
(alive or dead), who would it be and why?
That's a great question! I'd jump at the chance to collaborate with my besties again: Rachael Hetzel from Pistachio Press and Kris Merola and Tate Shaw from Preacher's Biscuit Books. Collaborative projects are the perfect excuse to get together, eat good food and sip cocktails...oh, and make art!



Get to know more about Abbey here:
AESTHETIC OUTBURST

Artist, author and blogger, Abbey Hendrickson, lives in Owego, New York with her husband and their two children. She writes a daily lifestyle blog called Aesthetic outburst, chronicling the adventures of her little family and the renovation of their 1800's farmhouse. 

Abbey's work can be found in Parent's MagazineCountry Living MagazineDrawn In by Julia Rothman, State of Craft by Victoria Woodcock and Cigalle Hanaor, and Old School: Art Inspired by the Aesthetics of 20th Century Education by Janine Vangool. Hendrickson has also been featured on several popular blogs, including Design*Sponge, sfgirlbybay, Poppytalk and A Beautiful Mess. Her most recent book You Are Awesome: 21 Crafts to Make You Happy, published by Cicada Books, was released in fall 2012.

- - -

And...if you miss the chance to scoop up a signed copy of her book at our market on the 24th, be sure to check out this POST for details on where you can purchase a copy!





///

No comments: