a visit with: Katrina Rodabaugh



Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

This morning we're spending time with multi-talented, first time Second Storie vendor, Katrina Rodabaugh...




a visit with:





- Katrina Rodabaugh - 


What first inspired you to create/make what you do now?
My mother was always making something with her hands; cross-stitch, crewelwork, knitting, sewing, gardening - so I remember various craft projects was a very little girl. By the time I was in high school I was sewing, drawing, and writing poems at every turn, but it wasn't until I was living in Brooklyn in my mid-twenties that I started my creative work seriously.


Your advice for someone just starting out
and wanting to sell their work?
Just keep making things! Anything. Everything. Just keep making things until you better recognize your personal style. And then get really, really committed to making your creative work into a business. It's okay if it takes a really long time and it's okay if you fail once, twice, or a dozen times along the way.




- her studio -


Three things or people who inspire you?
Mei Mei Berssenbrugge is one of my absolute favorite poets. I'd have to say Miranda July for her "do everything and who cares if it fits together neatly" way of working across disciplines. And then Louise Bourgeois and Kiki Smith are tied, 
they're art heroes.








- her work -


Favorite way to take a break/recharge your creative batteries?
My husband and I are both working artists so non-art moments are sparse. The Bay Area is a treasure of galleries, museums, theaters, and literary readings. But since our son was born a year ago I'd have to say long, slow, meandering walks through the neighborhood are a new favorite.


Any news or upcoming events you'd like to share?
I'm gearing up for several craft fairs this fall, teaching workshops, and also super excited to be sprucing up my blog and Etsy shop. It's a busy, beautiful time in my studio,
so stay tuned!



Get to know more about Marisa here:



///


No comments: