a visit with: Cecelia Hayes



Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

This morning, we're spending time with impossibly creative, returning Second Storie vendor, Cecelia Hayes...




a visit with:





- Cecelia Hayes - 


What first inspired you to create/make what you do now?
I spent a few years making elaborate dioramas and stage sets -
interested in the creation of an atmosphere. This has translated itself into my desire to create little installations with the presentation of my work, where everything feels like it comes from the same place, where every object has a life.


Your advice for someone just starting out
and wanting to sell their work?
Be careful not to get too attached to either a piece or a method of working. I have found that when I allow something to become too precious, it can stifle me from doing better.




- her workspace -


Three things or people who inspire you?
Both have achieved perfection in their created little worlds.
Also, my grandparents. They are remarkable stewards of their things and they have cultivated so much talent - woodworking, gardening, knitting, you name it - much of which they taught themselves and they always do things the right way.








- her work -


Favorite way to take a break/recharge your creative batteries?
I love being with my family, especially outdoors. My two children remind me to simplify my life. We feed a lot of ducks.

Get to know more about Cecelia here:



///


No comments: