a visit with: Amy Greenan


Over the next few months leading up to our November market, Tuesday through Thursday we'll be showcasing one of our 2012 market artists, their work, and a little peek at where they make the magic happen. We hope you'll enjoy this new series, where we'll ask the same questions of each of our makers. 

You'll get to know a little bit about our talented makers and what inspires them, read about their favorite ways to recharge their creativity, and learn what experience has shown them to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle in selling their work. Come November, won't it be great to walk into a room filled with inspiring, familiar faces? We think so, too!

We're thrilled to kick off this week by spending some time with talented artist and first time Second Storie vendor, Amy Greenan...




a visit with:





- Amy Greenan - 


What first inspired you to create/make what you do now?
I have been making art since I was a child, and always knew that I wanted to be an artist. One thing I can remember that particularly inspired me was a visit to my second or third grade classroom by someone from the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. We were shown images of works in the collection and I loved this one painting by Miro and made my own drawing of it. At home I made drawings and paintings of cats and horses.


Your advice for someone just starting out
and wanting to sell their work?
You have to take control of your own destiny - no one else is going to come find you. Be proactive and seek out opportunities. Don't be afraid to hear the word "no" and never let it discourage you from doing what you want to do.




- her studio -


Three things or people who inspire you?
Perhaps obviously, the abandoned houses that dot the western New York region so frequently - but also, landscape in general. I visited New Mexico this summer and fell in love with the desert all over again, and hope to do some paintings drawing on that experience.

The PBS TV series Art21. Wow.

I am also a musician and play the clarinet in the University at Buffalo Symphony Orchestra, which brings me infinite joy. Now when I go to my studio, I warm up by practicing clarinet for a while, and then start painting. It's just awesome.








- her work -


Favorite way to take a break/recharge your creative batteries?
Two things that are rather escapist: I love to read - always have! Books or magazines, it's a great way to lose yourself in another life for a few minutes or a few hours. Film watching is my other great relaxing activity - in our house, we watch everything from the cheesiest B movies and stupid Hollywood comedies to Italian giallo and gory slashers.



Get to know more about Amy here:



///



No comments: